As a Parent of a new Teen Driver, I have used the Parent Teen Driving Contract for my own kids. Please feel free to cut and paste this to anyone you love and edit it to your needs. I suggest after your teen reviews it and signs it, you have her or him actually read each sentence out loud and discuss it so there are no misunderstandings. Here you go….
PARENT TEEN DRIVING AGREEMENT/CONTRACT
• I will obey driving laws, including speed limits.
• I will wear my seatbelt at all times and make all passengers wear seatbelts. I will check to make sure all belts are fastened before I drive.
• I will not use a cell phone or any other electronic device while driving. I will pull over to make calls, receive calls, text or use any electronic device in any way.
• Limit on passengers: Immediately after I receive my license, I will not be allowed to have any passengers except by parents’ permission. As I gain experience, I will be allowed one passenger. Over time, this will be subject to change, but only after discussions with my parents.
• I must ask permission to drive, every time I drive, until my parents withdraw this rule. I will not make unscheduled stops or side trips.
• When I am away from my parents, I will keep them informed of exactly where I am.
• I will not leave the scene of an accident, no matter how minor, without the permission of police officers and/or my parents.
• No alcohol use/abuse. It is illegal for me to drink alcohol. However, if I do break the law by drinking anything alcoholic I will not drive for 24 hours.
• No drug use/abuse. I will not allow alcohol or illegal drugs in the car.
• I will not ride as a passenger with any driver who has used alcohol or any drug as defined above.
• I will engage in no thrill-seeking behavior while driving. Driving too fast, racing of all kinds, and any kind of “stunt” involving a car are NOT ALLOWED. Driving is for transportation ONLY.
• I will inform my parents about any and all tickets, accidents, and encounters with police (including warnings.)
• I will not allow any other person to drive the car without my parents’ specific permission for each specific case.
• Car audio system. For the first month I drive, I will not have the car stereo on. After the first month, I will talk to my parents about allowed use of the audio system.
• Emotional upset. Knowing that judgment and driving skills are altered by emotions, I will not drive when I am upset or angry. If upset, I will contact my parents for transportation and I reserve the right to maintain my privacy regarding personal matters.
Friends ride only with their parents’ permission. When transporting my friends, I will be reasonably sure that they have their parents’ permission to ride with me.
• I will not smoke and will not allow smoking in the car.
• I will not eat while driving.
• I will not do things while driving which distract me.
If I, Child, violate the rules in this contract, my parents will not allow me to drive, without a parent in the car with me, for some period of time to be exclusively determined by my parent but shall be for no less than 7 days for any breach of this Agreement.
CHILD/DRIVER _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ DATE _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
PARENT _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ DATE _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _