U-Turn tickets are moving violations and they usually carry a 3 point penalty on your license. If you get a U-Turn ticket, you should not just pay it because your insurance will go up, you will get points on your license and you will pay a hefty fine. We all hate getting a ticket for illegal U-turn because we feel that it was the kind of ticket that hurt nobody. That is, we were careful, but we needed to make a turn. Like the other moving violations above, we fight illegal U-Turn tickets all the time and have a 99% success rate keeping points off our clients licenses.
A lot of people ask, “how do I know if I am making an illegal u-turn”? Here are some general guidelines.
- Do not make a U-turn at an intersection with a traffic signal.
- Do not make a U-turn in the middle of the block in urban/residential areas.
- Do not make a U-turn where there is a sign prohibiting U-turns.
- Do not make a U-turn where visibility is limited by a curve or hill crest.
- Do not make a U-turn if there is a police officer anywhere in sight, this is like waving a red cape at a wounded bull, regardless of legality.
This leaves uncontrolled intersections, open rural roads with good visibility, divided roadways with dedicated breaks in the divider, and locations where U-turns are expressly permitted by official signs as your least risky U-Turn opportunities.
Find out more about fighting traffic tickets by reading a short e-book. Click below.
If you need 100 percent assurance that you are legal, go around the block and re-enter the street that you want to reverse course on. But if you are reading this because you got a ticket for illegal u-turn, contact us now.
Call us at (866) 433-3363 for your fast, free, and no obligation phone consultation.